Sunday, October 12, 2008

Kate Re-Blogs

Welcome to my blog! So far, I've made a blog, lost it somehow, rebuilt this one, and now I'm trying to recreate the two posts I've written thus far.

To no avail, as it turns out.

Be that as it may, I'll just move on, with this new blog post.

Today, I was on a radio show as a guest of Gigi, who hosts "Lunch Poems with Gigi." Her show comes from Kettering University, in Flint, MI. Trying to get my client on her show, she and I hit if off and she invited me to be a part of the show myself.

Who am I to turn down the opportunity to talk about myself? But Gigi threw me for a loop when she said, "Great! Think about your favorite poet, so we can discuss him/her on the show!"

Favorite poet? Me?!? I'm a haiku girl, myself.

Then I remembered a fabulous professor I had while at Indiana Central University - Dr. Allen. I took at least two of his classes, and those are the ones I remember the most (Econ Class, with my barely-squeaking by grade of D+, notwithstanding).

Dr. Allen taught Great American Novels and Short Stories, and American Writers. He was a master at deconstructing poems, showing us what the poet meant, showing us the crafting of the poems. He was really great when it came to Sylvia Plath, and her amazing poem, "Daddy."

So: Sylvia Plath, she's my favorite. Gigi didn't know much about Plath, but she plunged into Plath's journals and poems, and between the two of us, we gave a great show. Gigi asked me to read a poem I'd found while thumbing through my new Plath collection: "Ode to Ted."

It is, in short, a love poem to her husband, Ted Hughes. And it's beautiful, full of strong and lovely images. I hope I did the reading justice; for my part, I'll confess to getting a bit choked up after reading it aloud.

Gigi played an audio of Plath reading "Daddy," which makes that poem even more haunting. We had a great time discussing Plath, her poems, and poetry in general. I learned a lot, from Plath and from Gigi.

And really...that's my new goal these days - learn as much as I can, about my new life and new things, all the time!

Today, I'm heading to my pal Wayne's store, to see an author I've worked with in the past, Kathryn Cushman. Can't wait to see her - and Wayne!

Have a great Sunday - Kate.

1 comment:

KPCL Girl said...

This little snapshot of your life makes me miss you all the more....