Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Greetings from Paradise!

What a week - I was immersed in book events, and I couldn't be happier! I felt in my element, that's for sure.

First up, the second annual Santa Clarita Valley Scholarship Foundation AfterWORDS event (http://www.scvsf.org/)! What an event this was - truly special. Last year, as a Borders person, I helped the organizers kick off the first AfterWORDS in great style. This year, as a freelancer, I worked like crazy to make year two work as well as the first year. And I'm please to say, AfterWORDS 2009 was a fantastic sequel!

Cursed event - that's what my AfterWORDS partner Linda called it. And perhaps, in a way, it was...a bit. Bookended by personal tragedy (not mine, but still - close partner to the event), with not one but two date changes, this plucky little event staunchly kicked off on March 7th, with all the best intentions. And it stood on its own, fun, fabulous and profitable.

Four of the five original authors were there, standing tall, interesting and compelling. My pal Cathy Silvers couldn't make if after all, but my great friend David Lawrence (http://www.chefdavidlawrence.com/) took her place with professionalism, aplomb, and a wonderful sense of fun and mischief. He, as always, sold out; although I was only able to secure about 13 copies, I'm just thrilled we had any at all!
I've done many events like this, but honestly - this one was one to remember. The vibe, the feeling in the room...unmatchable. The audience oozed love and interest and support. The authors were all wonderful and a revelation to the crowd. They all were connected in some way, to each other, as Harley Jane Kozak (www.harleyjanekozak.com)pointed out. And those connections, the fact that all of them had met one or two of the others before (thanks to me!), really made for a casual, easy-going and stressfree event.

On top of which, since I stayed with David over the weekend, I was able to indulge in some wonderful meals at the hands of my good buddy, the professional chef! And many thanks to Allan, who ran my register and took that concern off my mind! Allan - couldn't have done it without you, my love!

I've include some photos here. And the websites:











AfterWORDS group photo.




Josh and David at AfterWORDS.
Another great event in Paradise - K8.

No comments: